|Snowy Joes! When it’s cold and snowing outside here’s a great dish to warm up to. Serve over your favorite grain, or if you have the time, bake up some of our REAL Yeasted, Gluten-Free Burger Buns.|
1 large onion
3 cloves garlic
1 package organic tempeh (8 oz)
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup water plus 1 cup
1 tablespoon maple syrup or molasses
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon savory
dash of pepper
1 can of organic kidney beans, no salt added, with the water (NOTE: if using any other beans, drain and rinse first and then add to the pot)
1 can of organic tomato paste
1. Dice the onion, mince the garlic and chop the tempeh.
2. In a large saucepan combine onion, garlic, tempeh, red wine vinegar, 1/2 cup water, maple syrup (or molasses) and spices. Mix well and let set for 10 minutes to soften the dried spices and slightly marinade the tempeh.
3. Over med-high heat bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until onions are soft and translucent.
4. Add the beans, tomato paste and 1 cup water (add 1/4 cup more water if you’ve rinsed the beans prior to adding them to the pan). Mix well and return to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer 15 minutes with the lid on (stirring occasionally).
5. Adjust the seasonings and simmer without the lid for an additional five minutes.
Serve open faced on buns, over your favorite grain or by itself. (Snowy day is optional)