Taking the time to make your own bread is always worth it. These yeasted burger buns are a variation on a recipe by Laurie Sadowski in her cookbook The Allergy-Free Cook Bakes Bread. It’s the few tablespoons of ground almonds that give Laurie’s recipes a delicious flavor. LISTEN to the IT’S ALL ABOUT FOOD interview with Laurie.
1 3/4 cups warm water
2 Tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon agave nectar
1 package Active Dry Yeast (2 1/2 teaspoons)
2 Tablespoons ground flaxseeds
1 1/4 cups sorghum flour
2/3 cup potato starch
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/3 cup tapioca flour
3 tablespoons finely ground almonds
2 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
Preheat oven to 200oF. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a small bowl, mix together yeast, 1 teaspoon agave and 1 cup of warm water. Let stand for about 5 minutes, allowing mixture to bubble and foam. In medium size bowl, beat the flax seeds in the remaining 3/4 cup of water. Add in 2 tablespoons of agave, cider vinegar and olive oil. In a large bowl mix the dry ingredient together, sorghum flour, potato starch, brown rice flour, tapioca flour, almonds, xanthan gum and salt. Add in flax mixture and proofed yeast mixture and make a very moist dough.
With oiled hands scoop out 1/6 of the batter, and form a round bun. Repeat with the remaining batter, making six bun. Let rise on top of the warm oven for about 60 minutes, until doubled in size.
Raise oven temperature to 350oF. When the desired temperature is reached place the buns in the oven. Cooked for 20-25 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove the buns from the oven and let cool for about 20 minutes before serving.
Everyone loves pizza. Pizza should be a special treat, made with special ingredients. Try our REAL Classic Pizza with our REAL Classic Italian Tomato Sauce, our REAL Pizza Crust recipe below and vegan mozzarella cheese.
2/3 cup REAL Classic Italian Tomato Sauce
4 oz Vegan Mozzarella Cheese , Make your own with Miyoko Schinner‘s Artisan Vegan Cheese cookbook. It’s the best!
Our REAL gluten-free recipe, is a variation on the Essential Pizza Crust recipe from Laurie Sadowski‘s wonderful and highly recommended Allergy-Free Cook Bakes Bread cookbook.
1 cup warm water
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
1 package active dry yeast (1/4 oz)
2 teaspoons sugar (evaporated cane juice)
3/4 cup sorghum flour plus more (about 2 tablespoons) for handling dough
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1/4 cup arrowroot starch, corn starch or potato starch
1/2 cup rice flour or All Purpose Gluten-Free Flour (we use Bob’s Red Mill)
2 tablespoons finely ground almonds (we grind the almonds in the same coffee bean grinder we use for our flax seeds)
1 3/4 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil plus a little more for oiling parchment paper
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 200F.
2. Prepare two sheets of parchment, coating each lightly with a little olive oil.
3. In a small bowl, mix together yeast, sugar, flax seeds and water. Let stand for about 5 minutes, allowing yeast to foam.
4. In a large bowl mix together sorghum flour, tapioca, arrowroot, rice flour, almonds, xanthan gum and salt.
5. Add olive oil and vinegar to the yeast mixture and pour this into the large bowl with the dry ingredients. Mix together well. This becomes a moist, sticky dough.
6. Dust dry, clean hands with sorghum flour. Keep extra flour close by. Using your hands divide the dough into 2 pieces, making each into a ball. Place one ball onto the parchment paper and flatten with your hands, pressing into an 8 inch round, with a 1/2 lip around the edges. If the dough is too sticky to handle, dust more flour on hands and dough. Repeat with second piece of dough.
7. Let the dough rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes. I put the dough and parchment paper on pans and place them on the top of the warm oven for rising.
8. Place 2 medium sheet pans in the warm oven while waiting for the dough to rise.
9. After the rising period, raise oven temperature to 425F. Remove heated pans carefully. Place the dough on the parchment paper on top of the heated pans and place in the oven. Bake for 7 minutes. Remove. Crusts may used right away or can be refrigerated or frozen to be used later.
10. Top each crust with tomato sauce, vegan cheese and your favorite pizza toppings.
11. Bake for 13 minutes in hot oven or until cheese is bubbly and starting to brown. Serve immediately.