Just marinate and bake. It’s easy to prepare these baked tofu steaks that make hearty, filling salad toppers, delicious sandwich fillers or as a main dish, like our REAL Tofu Steaks with Pasta And Kale. Tofu steaks travel well too, a terrific on the go food.
1 lb extra firm tofu
3 Tablespoons gluten free low sodium tamari or soy sauce
2 Tablespoons dark maple syrup or agave
1 Tablespoon sesame seeds (optional, preferably raw)
1. Preheat oven to 425oF. Line a cookie sheet with a piece of parchment paper. Set to one side.
2. Pour tamari/soy sauce and maple syrup/agave in a pyrex pie dish. Mix well.
3. Remove tofu from container, drain off excess water, rinse, pat dry with paper towel or kitchen towel. Cut it into 10 to 12 thin slices.
4. Dip each piece of tofu in the tamari/maple syrup marinade until completely covered and lay on the prepared cookie sheet.
5. Bake in the hot oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Turn the steaks, brush with extra marinade.
6. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake for an additional 15 minutes or until golden brown on both sides.
7. Lay steaks on top of pasta with kale and spoon remaining marinade over the top.