Muffins are easy and fun to make. Adding blueberries makes them special.
1 cup Sorghum flour
1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons All Purpose Gluten-Free Flour (we use Bob’s Red Mill)
2 teaspoons baking soda
Optional: 2 Tablespoons- 4 Tablespoons sugar (evaporated cane juice)
2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups water (for a sweeter taste use apple juice)
1/4 cup ground flax seeds mixed into 1/2 cup water
1 banana, mashed (1/4 cup of apple sauce or light colored jam may be used)
1/2 cup blueberries (frozen or fresh)
Preheat oven to 350oF. Recipe makes 12-15 muffins. Prepare muffin tins by lightly greasing with oil or vegan butter or line with paper muffin cups.
1. In a large bowl mix together flours with baking soda.
2. In a small bowl mix together flax seeds in 1/2 cup water, add vinegar, vanilla, mashed banana and sugar (if using).
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well.
4. Pour in 1 cup water and blend followed by the remaining 1/2 cup of water. Beat the batter by hand.
5. Stir in blueberries.
6. Spoon about 1/2 cup of batter into each muffin cup.
7. Bake for 25-30 minutes until muffins are firm and golden brown.
8. Remove from oven. Let cool. Remove the muffins from the tin, place in a basket and serve with your favorite spreads.