These muffins are light, with a rich, buttery flavor.
2 1/4 cups All Purpose Gluten-Free Flour (we use Bob’s Red Mill)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup non dairy milk (we use unsweetened soymilk, just organic soybeans and water)
2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 Tablespoons ground flax seeds
4 Tablespoons water
1 Tablespoon soy lecithin granules (optional – this gives the muffin a richer, buttery flavor)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup water
1 cup pecans, chopped (You may substitute any nut, seed or dried fruit)
Preheat oven to 350oF. Recipe makes 12 muffins. Prepare muffin tins by lightly greasing with oil, shortening or vegan butter or line with paper muffin cups.
1. In a large bowl mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
2. In a small bowl mix the non dairy milk with vinegar. This is the plant-based version of buttermilk.
3. In a separate bowl mix together flax seeds and 4 tablespoons water. Add in the soy lecithin. Beat the ingredients together with a fork. (This is the plant-based version of an egg.) Mix in the brown sugar and then the water and non dairy milk/vinegar.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well. Stir in the chopped pecans.
5. Spoon about 1/3 cup of batter into each muffin cup.
6. Bake for 35 minutes until muffins are firm.
7. Remove from oven. Let cool. Remove the muffins from the tin, place in a basket and serve with your favorite spreads.