Keeping the pantry stocked with REAL essentials like canned tomatoes, tomato pastes, beans along with frozen veggies, and a variety of good spices, and dry whole grains, Chickpea Stew served with our REAL Forbidden Nutty Rice comes together quickly for a meal that will delight your taste buds.
– 1 teaspoon cumin
– 1 teaspoon turmeric
– 1 teaspoon onion powder
– 1/2 teaspoon paprika
– 1/2 teaspoon garam marsala
1 large onion
1 can* or glass jar chopped/crushed tomatoes, salt-free (14.5 ounces)
1 can* or glass jar tomato paste (6 ounces)
2 cups water or more
1 cup chopped fresh or frozen spinach
3 cups cooked chickpeas or two cans* (15 ounces), drained
If using canned products, we recommend Eden Organics for beans in salt-free, BPA-free enamel-lined cans and tomato products in glass.
1. Mix together spices in a small bowl. Set aside.
2. Slice onion lengthwise into 1/4 inch wide crescents.
3. Dry saute onion in a heavy fry pan, stirring occasionally until translucent and lightly browned. Add 2 tablespoons of water whenever onions begin to stick in the pan.
4. Stir spices in with onions and allow them to toast lightly for a few minutes.
5. Add tomatoes, tomato paste and 2 cups water to the pan. Stir to incorporate. Mix in spinach and chickpeas. Add more water if mixture is too dry.
6. Cook, covered on medium low heat for 10 minutes.