1 onion chopped
1 cup frozen spinach or fresh that has been chopped and cooked
1 cup frozen kale or packed fresh kale (chop leaves and stalks into small pieces)
8 ounces firm tofu
2 tablespoons ground flax seeds mixed in 1/4 cup water
additional water for cooking as necessary
* Instead of spinach and kale you can use 2 cups of any combinations of veggies: broccoli, carrots, peas, stringbeans, mushrooms, corn, etc.
Herb and Spice Mix (use the mix below or make up your own)
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chipotle
2 teaspoons dried basil
1. In a medium bowl mash tofu with a fork.
2. In another bowl, beat together flax seeds and water. Let sit a few minutes.
3. Mix herbs and spices together in a small bowl or cup. Pour over mashed tofu and stir to incorporate. Add the flax seed mixture and mix all the ingredients together. This seasoned tofu mixture will be like a thick batter or sticky dough.
4. In a heavy fry pan, dry saute onions, stirring occasionally. Cook for about 10 minutes, adding about 2 tablespoons of water whenever onions begin to stick. When onions are translucent add in spinach and kale.
5. Spoon the tofu mixture onto the cooked vegetables. Add about 1/4 cup of water to combine all the ingredients. Let cook another 5 minutes over medium low heat.
Tofu scramble can be kept warm, covered in the oven at 200oF until ready to serve. Serve with our REAL Toasted Buckwheat with Onions and Walnuts.