Buckwheat, which is not related to wheat and is not a cereal or grass, is a fruit or seed, rich in iron, zinc and selenium. Buckwheat noodles (soba) are popular in Japan and buckwheat groats (kasha) as a porridge are common in eastern Europe. In France you can find buckwheat crêpes, sweet or savory, served everywhere around the country.
1 1/2 cups buckwheat flour
1 1/4 cups nondairy milk, unsweetened
1 1/4 cups water
1 tablespoon vegan butter like Earth Balance Buttery spread.
1/4 cup ground flax seeds, in 1/2 cup water
2 1/2 tablespoon ENER-G egg replacer
Optional: 2 tablespoons soy lecithin granules
Addition vegan butter like Earth Balance Buttery spread for oiling the fry pan.
1. Grind the lecithin into a powder or mash it with the back of a spoon.
2. In a small bowl, mix flax seeds with 1/2 cup water. Stir in lecithin and egg replacer. Mix well and let sit for 10 minutes.
3. Melt the vegan butter in a small pan over low heat. When melted, remove from heat.
4. Pour nondairy milk and water in a blender. Add the melted vegan butter and the flour. Cover blender and turn on low. Blend the ingredients into a thick batter. Let stand for at least 10 minutes.
5. Heat a cast iron griddle pan to medium-high.
6. Brush a small amount of vegan butter over the entire surface. Pour 1/2 cup of batter into the center of the hot pan. Quickly and carefully with the smooth, backside of a ladle, gently and in a circular motion from the center moving out, bring the batter out towards the edges to make an 8 inch circle. Cook until the batter dries on top. Carefully with a thin metal spatula lift up the edges around the entire circumference of the crepe. Make sure the crepe is not sticking any where – if it is, it may need to cook a few more minutes. Lift the crepe up and turn over. Cook on the other side for about 2-3 minutes. Put the crepe on a plate. Repeat this step until the batter is gone.
Makes 6 large (8 inch crepes). Serve with vegan butter and powdered sugar or fill with a sweet or savory filling. Shown with our REAL Berry Pear Compote.