Eric Adams’ book Healthy at Last, A Plant-Based Approach to Preventing and Reversing Diabetes and Other Chronic Illnesses has many wonderful recipes in it. After interviewing him about the book, some of the recipes in it inspired this new treat. We have named these healthy, sweet treats in honor of Eric Adams and his work as Brooklyn Borough President, working at Brooklyn Borough Hall. We like to serve them with tea made with fresh mint.
- 8 soft Medjool dates, pitted
- 2 Tablespoons carob powder
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds, ground
- 3 Tablespoons walnuts
- 4 Tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- In a food processor pulse all the ingredients (except 3 Tablespoons shredded coconut) together to make a dough.
- Process until dough is smooth and clumps into a ball.
- Place 3 Tablespoons of shredded coconut in a small bowl or plate.
- Roll dough into 1-inch diameter balls and roll in the coconut to cover.
- Balls may be served immediately or chilled in the refrigerator until ready to serve.