Everyone loves pizza. Pizza should be a special treat, made with special ingredients. Try our REAL Classic Vegan Pizza with our REAL Classic Italian Tomato Sauce, our REAL Pizza Crust recipe below and vegan mozzarella cheese.
2/3 cup REAL Classic Italian Tomato Sauce
4 oz Vegan Mozzarella Cheese , Make your own with Miyoko Schinner‘s Artisan Vegan Cheese cookbook. It’s the best!
Our REAL gluten-free recipe, is a variation on the Essential Pizza Crust recipe from Laurie Sadowski‘s wonderful and highly recommended Allergy-Free Cook Bakes Bread cookbook.
1 cup warm water
1 package active dry yeast (1/4 oz)
2 teaspoons sugar (evaporated cane juice)
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
3/4 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1/4 cup arrowroot starch, corn starch or potato starch
1/2 cup rice flour or All Purpose Gluten-Free Flour (we use Bob’s Red Mill)
1 3/4 teaspoons xanthan gum
*If you prefer convenience, in place of above mix use 2 cups Bob’s Redmill 1 to 1 Baking Mix made with Sweet Rice Flour, Whole Grain Brown Rice Flour, Potato Starch, Whole Grain Sweet White Sorghum Flour, Tapioca Flour and Xanthan Gum.
2 tablespoons finely ground almonds (we grind the almonds in the same coffee bean grinder we use for our flax seeds)
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil plus a little more for oiling parchment paper
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 200oF.
2. Prepare two sheets of parchment, coating each lightly with a little olive oil.
3. In a small bowl, mix together yeast, sugar, flax seeds and water. Let stand for about 5 minutes, allowing yeast to foam.
4. In a large bowl mix together Flour Mix (sorghum flour, tapioca, arrowroot, rice flour, xanthan gum) with almonds and salt.
5. Add olive oil and vinegar to the yeast mixture and pour this into the large bowl with the dry ingredients. Mix together well. This becomes a moist, sticky dough.
6. Lightly oil hands with a little olive oil. Keep extra oil close by. Using your hands divide the dough into 2 pieces, making each into a ball. Place one ball onto the parchment paper and flatten with your hands, pressing into an 8-inch round for a thick crust or a 10-inch round for a thin crust, with a 1/2 lip around the edges. If the dough is too sticky to handle oil hands with olive oil. Repeat with second piece of dough.
7. Let the dough rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes. I put the dough and parchment paper on pans and place them on the top of the warm oven for rising.
8. Place 2 medium sheet pans in the warm oven while waiting for the dough to rise.
9. After the rising period, raise oven temperature to 425oF. Remove heated pans carefully. Place the dough on the parchment paper on top of the heated pans and place in the oven. Bake for 7 minutes. Remove. Crusts may used right away or can be refrigerated or frozen to be used later.
10. Top each crust with tomato sauce, vegan cheese and your favorite pizza toppings.
11. Bake for 13 minutes in hot oven or until cheese is bubbly and starting to brown. Serve immediately.