Corn Chowder is on my list of hearty, comfort foods. The Caraway seeds are essential for the best flavor.
1 package (16 oz) frozen corn or 3 cups corn kernels
2 medium onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 medium potatoes, cut in small cubes (peel if not organic)
1 carrot, cut in small chunks (peel if not organic)
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 tablespoon dried sage
1 tablespoon caraway seeds
1 cup unsweetened non dairy milk
6 cups water
salt to taste
1. In a large soup pot on medium heat, saute the onions and garlic in about 1/2 cup water for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
2. Add in potatoes, celery, carrots, parsley, sage and caraway seeds along with remaining water.
3. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and let cook until potatoes are soft.
4. With an immersion hand blender or regular blender, puree about 2/3 of the soup, so that the soup has a creamy base with some corn, potato and carrot chunks.
5. Add in the non dairy milk. Let soup simmer until ready to serve.
Top with a dollop of REAL nondairy yogurt or chopped scallions.