Our REAL Prune Butter is the special ingredient that makes the flavorful sauce with no oil, sugar or salt.
1 package extra firm tofu
2 large or 3 small eggplants
3 celery stalks
3 cloves garlic
1/3 cup REAL Prune Butter
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 cup water
Salt, soy sauce or tamari to taste (optional)
1. Cut the tofu into 1/2 inch cubes and set aside.
2. Peel the onion and cut it from top to bottom in 1/4 to 1/2 inch wide half moon strips.
3. Cut the celery into 1/4 inch wide strips, about 3 inches in length.
4. Coarse chop garlic.
5. Peel eggplant and cut into 1/2 x 1/4 inch wide strips, about 3 to 4 inches in length.
6. Heat a large cast iron frying pan to medium high. Add the tofu, spread the cubes out evenly and brown the sides, stirring and turning occasionally for about 10 minutes. Dry sauteeing works well with extra firm tofu because this kind of tofu is dry and won’t stick. If you use a softer, wetter tofu it will stick to the pan. Remove tofu to a bowl and set aside.
7. Add the garlic and onions to the hot fry pan and dry saute, stirring constantly. The garlic and onions will soften and brown slightly. It’s important to keep stirring to keep the garlic from getting to brown or black. After a few minutes when the onions soft, add in the celery. Mix well and cook another few minutes until the celery has wilted. The eggplant strips can be added on top of the other vegetables. Depending on the size of the frying pan, there may not be enough room to mix the eggplant in. That’s okay. As the eggplants heats up it will lose water and reduce in size. Stir occasionally and mix, bringing the bottom vegetables up to the top. Cook until the eggplant is completely soft and slightly translucent.
8. While the eggplant cooks, prepare the plum sauce. In a medium size bowl, mix the prune butter, garlic and ginger powders, cayenne pepper, vinegar and water. Optional: add salt, tamari or soy sauce to taste.
9. Mix the tofu with the vegetables in the pan and top with the plum sauce. Stir everything together and cook for another few minutes. Serve hot. Makes 4 servings.