1 cup warm water
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds (to grind seeds use a coffee mill or spice grinder)
1 package active dry yeast (1/4 oz)
2 teaspoons sugar (evaporated cane juice)
3/4 cup sorghum flour plus more (about 2 tablespoons) for handling dough
3/4 cup tapioca flour
3/4 cup garfava flour
2 tablespoons finely ground pumpkin seeds (to grind seeds use a coffee mill or spice grinder)
1 3/4 teaspoons xanthan gum or carrageenan
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil plus a little more for oiling parchment paper and for handling dough
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
1 scallion, finely chopped
Optional: 1 tablespoon freesh rosemary, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 200oF.
2. Prepare one sheet of parchment paper or oil a baking sheet.
3. In a small bowl, mix together yeast, sugar, flax seeds and water. Let stand for about 5 minutes, allowing yeast to foam.
4. In a large bowl mix together flours, tapioca,pumpkin seeds, xanthan gum and salt.
5. Add olive oil and vinegar to the yeast mixture and pour this into the large bowl with the dry ingredients. Mix together well. This becomes a moist, sticky dough.
6. Lightly oil hands and press dough on the baking sheet, making a large rectangle. Press dough all the way to the edges if possible. If the dough is too sticky to handle, dust more flour on hands and dough.
7. Let the dough rise in a warm place for about 30-60 minutes. I put the dough and parchment paper on pans and place them on the top of the warm oven for rising.
8. After the rising period, raise oven temperature to 425F. Place baking sheet with dough in the oven. Bake for 9 minutes. Remove.
9. Slice into 8 pieces. Use to make 4 sandwiches or top each crust with tomato sauce, vegan cheese and your favorite pizza topping and return to the oven for a few more minutes to heat everything together. We like making a Foccaccia Club sandwich (pictured here) with baked tofu and our REAL Vegan Mayonnaise.