Brown Rice Flour, Tapioca Starch, Flax Seeds, Apple Cider Vinegar – these are staples in gluten-free, vegan baking. When you have them on hand, the rest is easy. These muffins took less than 1/2 hour to mix together, bake and serve. Make every weekend a holiday with these Holiday Apple Cranberry Spice Muffins. Serve with REAL Apple Cranberry Raisin Butter (Holiday Butter)This muffin is not sweet, it is more like a bread. We sweeten the muffins with our favorite fruit butter spreads.
2 cups brown rice flour
1/3 cup tapioca Flour
1/2 cup starch (potato, corn, arrowroot)
2 teaspoons Baking Soda
2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup ground flax seeds
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas) plus 2 Tablespoons for garnish
1/2 cup REAL Apple Cranberry Raisin Butter or any fruit butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ginger powder
OPTIONAL, For a sweeter muffin: 2 Tablespoons – 1/4 cup evaporated cane juice
Preheat oven to 350oF. Prepare muffin tins by lightly greasing with vegetable shortening or oil, or line with paper muffin cups.
1. In a large bowl whisk together rice flour, tapioca, starch, baking soda, flax seeds, spices and 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds.
2. In a small bowl mix together water, vinegar, fruit butter and sugar (if using).
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well. The batter will be thick and dry.
4. Spoon about 1/2 cup of batter into each muffin cup.
5. With a food brush and a little water, smooth the tops of the muffins. Sprinkle a few pumpkin seeds on top of each one.
6. Bake for 20 minutes until muffins are golden brown.
7. Remove from oven. Let cool. Remove the muffins from the tin, place in a basket and serve with your favorite spreads.