While visiting the Corwin family in Costa Rica, we had a potluck dinner. See Part I, Rainforest Oat Banana Bread. For dessert, I created this Apple Crumble recipe. When I think about Costa Rica it’s the exotic delights that I get excited about, like papayas and mangos and all the other wonderful tropical fruits there. Apples are not something that comes to mind but they do grow in Costa Rica and Beth Corwin loves them. These apples are great for cooking and perfect in my Jungle Crumble.
To learn more about life on a farm in Costa, listen to my interview with Beth Corwin on the ASK A VEGAN show.
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup brown sugar (I used the Corwin’s homemade variety made from real sugar cane)
1/2 cup raspberries (frozen or fresh)
1. Preheat oven to 350oF
2. Peel and core the apples. Finely slice into 1/4″ crescents.
3. In a large baking dish, line the bottom with apple slices. I like to neatly place them all in the same direction, with each slice slightly overlapping each other.
4. Toss the raspberries evenly over the apples.
5. In a medium size bowl, knead the oats, sugar and coconut oil into a coarse, crumbly mixture. Spread evenly over the top of the fruit.
6. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and serve warm.