Bring the sunshine to your winter breakfast table with Lemon Poppy Seed muffins. Red bananas add their own light lemony flavor while adding sweetness and acting as a binder.. I originally created this recipe with rice flour, but for those not wanting to consume too much rice, there is a second options with sorghum and all-purpose-gluten-free flours that works as well.
2 cups Brown Rice Flour
1/3 cup Tapioca Flour
1/2 cup potato starch
1 cup Sorghum flour
1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons All Purpose Gluten-Free Flour (we use Bob’s Red Mill)
2 teaspoons baking soda
3 Tablespoons poppy seeds
2 Tablespoons sugar (evaporated cane juice)
Juice from 1 lemon (about 3 Tablespoons lemon juice)
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup ground flax seeds mixed into 1/2 cup water
1 red banana, mashed (a conventional Cavendish banana can be used instead, as well as 1/4 cup of apple sauce or light colored jam)
Preheat oven to 350oF. Recipe makes 12-15 muffins. Prepare muffin tins by lightly greasing with oil or vegan butter or line with paper muffin cups.
1. In a large bowl mix together either flour mix above with baking soda and poppy seeds.
2. In a small bowl mix together flax seeds in 1/2 cup water, add vinegar, lemon juice, lemon zest, mashed bananas and sugar.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well.
4. Pour in 1 cup water and blend followed by the remaining 1/2 cup of water. Beat the batter by hand.
5. Spoon about 1/2 cup of batter into each muffin cup.
6. Bake for 25 minutes until muffins are firm and golden brown.
7. Remove from oven. Let cool. Remove the muffins from the tin, place in a basket and serve with your favorite spreads.