I love soup. This recipe is perfect for a rainy summer day, light, nourishing yet cozy and comforting.
1 red onion
1 pound fresh broccoli
8 cups water
3 Tablespoons red miso paste (other miso flavors can be used)
1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/3 cup white wine
1 package (8 oz) tempeh
salt to taste
1. Coarsely chop carrots and onions.
2. Remove broccoli stalks (these are great to use when making a green juice). Chop florets into small pieces.
3. Cut tempeh into thin strips, 1/4 inch thick, 1 inch long.
4. In a small bowl mix the miso with about 1/3 cup water until well blended. Set aside.
5. Pour wine and about 1/3 cup water into a large stock pot. Turn heat to medium-high. Add carrots and onions and saute in liquid for about 10 minutes.
6. Add ginger and garlic powder, tempeh and remaining water to pot. Cover. Bring to a boil.
7. Add broccoli and cook for about 3 minutes or until broccoli is cooked the way you like it.
8. Remove from heat.
9. Stir in the miso mixture.
10. Serve immediately.