This is another new tradition for our Thanksgiving dessert table.
4 Tablespoons ground flax seeds (soaked in coconut milk)
3 cups of coconut milk, separated
1 cup sugar (we use evaporated cane juice)
1 1/4 cups date paste
2 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
4 pound purple sweet potatoes, baked, enough for 3 cups of sweet potato
4 tablespoons corn starch, potato starch, tapioca starch or arrowroot powder
1 unbaked 9-inch deep-dish pie shell. Here’s our gluten-free pie crust recipe.
1. Preheat oven to 350oF
in a small bowl, mix the flax seeds with 1/2 cup of coconut milk. Let sit for 5 minutes. Then beat with a fork to make a light viscous, mixture.
2. Mix together sugar, spices and vanilla. Cream the sugar and date paste with the flax seed mixture.
3. Remove skins from Sweet Potatoes: Cut potatoes in half and scoop out the insides to separate from skins.
4. In a food processor, blend together pumpkin and remaining coconut milk. Add in sugar/date paste/flax mixture.
5. Sift the starch and sprinkle into the pumpkin batter. Mix to incorporate.
6. Scoop batter into pie shell.
7. Bake for 30 minutes. Cover pie with parchment paper or foil and bake another 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.