There are lots of yummy vegan ice creams out there, but we make ours with a frozen banana base, so you can indulge without any guilt!
6 ripe bananas, peeled and frozen
1 cup nondairy milk
1 cup frozen strawberries
4 tablespoons organic cocoa powder
1 teaspoon almond extract
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 can coconut milk, refrigerated for at least 4 hours (not the light version)
1/3 cup organic confectioner’s sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch or potato starch
1/4 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
2 Tablespoons grated dark nondairy chocolate
1/4 cup chopped almonds
2 ripe bananas
4 Maraschino cherries (look for the kind with no red dye or preservatives)
Metal mixing bowl for whipping cream should be chilled in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
1. Place the frozen bananas in a blender. Add the nondairy milk. Depending on the power of the blender will determine how you will blend the bananas. If the blender is not very powerful you will need to pulse once or twice, then stir the contents with a long wooden spoon, remove the spoon, cover and pulse again. You continue this way until the mixture is smooth and the consistency of soft serve ice cream. If it’s too difficult to blend, wait a few minutes to allow the bananas to soften up.
2. Scoop out 1/3 of the banana mixture into a bowl, add the almond extract and one teaspoon vanilla. Stir and mix well to incorporate.
3. In another bowl add 1/3 of the banana mixture, the cocoa powder and one teaspoon vanilla. Stir and mix well to incorporate.
4. Add the frozen strawberries to the remaining banana mixture in the blend and blend well. Put this mixture in a bowl.
5. The three bowls can be put in the freezer while you make the whipped cream. Or you can spoon into individual cups or small serving dishes to mold into single scoops.
6. Sift confectioner’s sugar and starch into a small bowl and mix well.
7. Remove the coconut milk from the refrigerator. Pierce a hole in the BOTTOM of the can and let the liquid drain into a bowl and discard. Open the top of the can and remove the solid coconut fat. Place this is the chilled bowl for whipping. Whip the coconut for about 30 seconds on high speed. Add the sugar/starch mixture and 1 teaspoon vanilla and whip to incorporate. Whipped cream can be put in the refrigerator to chill a little longer until ready to use.
8. Shredded coconut and chopped nuts can be served as is, or lightly toasted. To toast, place each on a baking sheet and put them in the oven at 350F. Bake for 2 or 3 minutes, remove the pans, stir the contents around and bake again for 2 to 3 minutes. Continue until the coconut and the nuts are golden brown. Let cool.
9. Peel bananas and cut lengthwise into 4 pieces each. Place two pieces in each banana boat. Take the frozen banana mixtures out from the freezer. Remove the individual scoops from their cups. You may need to run the bottom of the cups under hot water so the contents can come out. Place one of each flavor in a boat. Or if not previously molded, scoop one of each flavor into each banana boat. Top each scoop with a dollop of whipped cream. Sprinkle each scoop with toppings and top each dish with a cherry. Serve immediately.