Made with our own REAL yogurt these corn cakes will bring out the MMMMMMMMmmmmm in the morning.
3 Tablespoons ground flax seeds in 6 tablespoons water
1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
1 1/4 cups All Purpose Gluten-Free Flour (We use Bob’s Red Mill)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 cups nondairy, unsweetened yogurt. Make your own REAL yogurt. If you don’t have yogurt you may replace with an additional 1 cup of water.
1 cup water
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons (about) vegan butter for greasing griddle
1. Preheat oven to 200oF.
2. In a medium size bowl beat together flax seeds and water. Stir in yogurt and vinegar.
3. In another bowl mix together dry ingredients: cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda.
4. Mix in wet ingredients and beat until smooth.
5. With a food brush, brush a small amount of vegan butter to a large skillet (we use cast iron) or griddle over medium heat.
6. Pour 1/4 cup of batter on to the skillet. If there is room you may make more pancakes, 1/4 cup each, spacing them apart on the griddle. 7. Cook pancakes until golden brown on bottom and some bubbles begin to break around edges, about 1-2 minutes. The tops of the pancakes will be still be wet. As long as the edges are dry you can flip them. Turn pancakes over; cook until bottoms are golden brown, about 1-2 minutes.
8. Transfer pancakes to baking sheet and place in the oven to keep warm.
9. Repeat with remaining batter. Brush the pan with more vegan butter as necessary.
Makes 12 five inch pancakes. Serve with yogurt, fresh blueberries, syrup or your favorite fruit topping.