Kale, the wonder food, should be consumed often. Here’s one great way to get your daily dose.
Pasta with Kale, Red Onion and Red Pepper Flakes
1 lb brown rice spaghetti
1 large bunch of kale (about 1/2 lb)
1 large red onion
1 Tablespoon red pepper flakes
2 cups boiling water (reserved from cooking the pasta)
1. Put a large pot of water on the stove and bring to a boil.
2. Add the spaghetti and cook until al dente (approximately 8 – 10 minutes).
3. Reserve one cup of the hot pasta water. Drain the pasta in a colander. Rinse quickly in cold water to stop the cooking (about 10 seconds; the pasta will still be hot). Set aside.
4. Chop the kale to approximately 2 inch pieces.
5. Slice the onion in thin crescents.
6. Heat a large cast iron or heavy duty fry/saute pan.
7. add 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta water and saute the onion and red pepper flakes until soft. Add the kale and another 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta water and cover with a lid. Turn the heat to medium and steam until tender, adding more water if needed.
8. Add the pasta to the kale and onion mixture, mix well, adding more water if needed.
REAL RECIPE for
Baked Marinated Tofu Steaks
Lay tofu steaks on top of pasta with kale and spoon remaining marinade over the top.