Can’t view the video below? Click here.
These potato pancakes are light and delicious, with little or no oil at all. They are a great party food for any celebration. Top with our REAL Tofu Sour Cream or REAL Apple Sauce or our REAL Apple Cranberry Raisin Butter (Holiday Butter). Recipe includes 4 varieties: plain potato, potato carrot onion, potato buckwheat and potato spinach.
Potatoes (about 3 pounds, washed and scrubbed, peeled if not organic)
1 large onion
1/2 cup potato flour (all purpose flour, wheat or gluten-free may be substituted)
2 Tablespoons olive oil (optional – if you are on an oil-free diet leave this out)
3/4 teaspoon salt (optional – if you are on a salt-free diet leave this out)
1 cup frozen spinach
1 carrot (washed and scrubbed, peeled if not organic)
1/2 cup roasted buckwheat groats
1 cup water
Tofu Sour Cream
1. Line 3 sheet pans with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 400oF.
2. Peel and cut onion. Cut onion in half. Grate one of the halved pieces and put in a small bowl. Chop the other half and put in a small bowl.
3. Grate carrot and place in a small bowl.
4. Place the buckwheat in a small saucepan, add water, stir, cover and cook over high heat, bringing to a boil. Turn heat to low and cook until water is gone and buckwheat is soft, about 15-20 minutes.
5. In a large cast iron pan or heavy skillet, over medium high heat, dry saute the chopped onion, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes. Adjust heat so onions do not burn. Add in carrots and cook for 2 more minutes. Spoon out onions and carrots and place in a small bowl.
6. In the same pan, add the spinach and let it cook for about a minute or two, just to defrost and/or soften and remove some of the water. Spoon out 1/2 cup of the spinach and place in a small bowl.
7. Take 1/2 cup cooked buckwheat and place in a small bowl.
8. Grate potatoes over large bowl, filled halfway with water. Toss the grated potatoes around in the water, drain, rinse and let sit in a mesh colander over a larger bowl. Press potatoes to squeeze out additional water.
9. In a very large bowl, toss together the grated potatoes and grated onion. Add oil and salt if using. Mix well. Sprinkle in the potato flour, a few tablespoons at a time. Using your hands, mix together to make a dough. Use enough flour so that the mixture can be shaped into a patty. Divide dough into 4 equal parts. Take one quarter and place in another bowl. Pull enough potato dough to form into a patty of desired size. About 1/4 cup will make a 2 1/2 – 3 inch pancake. Place on sheet pan. Take another 1/4 of the dough and place in the mixing bowl. With your hands, knead in the sauteed carrot/onion mixture. Form into pancakes and place on sheet pan. Using the third quarter of potato dough, knead in the buckwheat, form into pancakes and place on sheet pan. Using remaining dough, knead in the spinach, form into pancakes and place on sheet pan.
10. Bake for 15 minutes then remove from heat. Flatten by pressing down on each pancake with a spatula and flip the over. Bake for another 15 minutes.
Serve immediately with Tofu Sour Cream or Apple Sauce.