Happy Valentines Day! Here’s a dish to serve to the ones you love – ‘Eggs’ Benedict Arnold. This traitor to the original recipe is egg-free, cholesterol-free, gooey and good. Come over to our side – join the vegan ranks!
No Eggs Benedict Arnold For Two
(As seen on Episode Two of Transition Kitchen)
1 block of tofu 15-16 oz (firm)
4 sun dried tomatoes (rehydrated in 1/4 cup of olive oil, 3 Tablespoons Balsamic vinegar, 1 teaspoon dried Herbes de Provence)
2 English muffins, split (vegan and vegan/gluten-free varieties are available)
1 recipe vegan hollandaise sauce
1 Tablespoon olive oil for frying tofu & tomatoes
1 teaspoon smoked paprika for garnish
Preheat oven to 350o
1. Prepare the sun dried tomatoes: take two pieces of parchment paper about 5″ x 5″, lay one on a cutting board. Place one sun dried tomato flat on the paper, place the other piece of paper over the tomato, pound the tomato until it’s about a 4 inch circle and very thin, about a 1/16 of an inch thick. Repeat with other tomatoes. Store the tomato slices in between their papers until ready to use.
2. Drain the tofu and lightly squeeze out excess water. Wrap the block of tofu in a clean kitchen towel and gently squeeze out the excess water. Put in the refrigerator for at least an hour. Then remove for cutting.
3. Place the block of tofu in front of you and slice it long ways into four slices, each slice a half inch thick.
4. Take a cookie cutter (we used a heart cutter and scalloped ring cutter) and cut four shapes (we cut two hearts and two rings). Save the remaining tofu for another use.
5. Take a heavy duty frying pan (we use cast iron) and quick fry the tofu (about 3 minutes on each side). Set aside and keep warm until ready to serve.
6. Carefully remove tomato slices from paper. Heat the tomato slices in the pan that the tofu was fried in, about 30 seconds on each side. Put them on the plate with the tofu.
7. Split the English muffins and brush them with a little melted vegan butter and toast them in the oven. This is best done while cooking and heating tomatoes so everything is warm and ready to plate.
8. Assemble your No Eggs Benedict Arnold as follows:
Place one muffin opened face on each plate.
Put one tomato slice on each muffin.
Place on piece of tofu on top of each tomato slice.
Pour one 1/4 cup vegan Hollandaise over each open faced muffin.
Serve with REAL Home Fries.