Here’s a nourishing yet comforting dish to prepare while practicing social distancing.
1 package of brown rice spaghetti or other pasta (12-16 ounces)
1 bunch collards (about 6 large leaves)
1 red onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 cup vegetable broth or water
1/2 raw cashews (about 50)
2 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
2 Tablespoons tomato powder (or tomato paste)
1 Tablespoon chickpea or white miso
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon herbes de Provence
1 teaspoon parsley
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon smoky paprika
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1. Prepare the pasta. Follow the package instructions for cooking and rinse with cold water.
2. In a high-powered blender process the cashews with 2 1/2 cups of water. This is cashew milk, the base for the sauce. Soaking the cashews for 8 hours or overnight before blending is recommended if a conventional blender is to be used.
3. Add the nutritional yeast, tomato powder (or tomato paste), miso, herbs and spices to the blender and process until smooth.
4. Strip the collard leaves off the stems. (save stems for juicing or chopping in salad). Roll leaves like a cigar and cut on the bias into strips. This is called a chiffonade.
5. Cut carrots down the middle and chop on the bias into crescents.
6. Dice the onion.
7. Mince the garlic.
8. In a large sauté or a large skillet pan heat the water or vegetable broth. Add vegetables and sauté until they are tender. It should be “brothy”, this is good.
9. While the vegetables are simmering add the sauce, stir and bring to a simmer. Cook for about five minutes.
10. Add the cooked/rinsed pasta, stir, and continue simmering for another five minutes or until the pasta is incorporated with the sauce.
Optional: Garnish with a little more nutritional yeast and red pepper flakes.