Fire up the grill. These vegetables brushed with light marinade are perfection. They can also be prepared in advance and served at room temperature. Make a sandwich with your favorite bread, pesto and almond cheese and sip on some iced Rooibos tea.
3 large Yellow Summer Squash
3 large Red Onions
6 large Portobello Mushrooms
3 large Russet Potatoes
3 large Red Potatoes
3 Red Bell Peppers
3 Yellow Bell Peppers
2 medium-sized Eggplant (3 if you’re using Japanese Eggplants)
1 cup Balsamic Vinegar
1/2 cup of Olive Oil
3 Garlic Cloves
3 Tablespoons fresh Rosemary (3 teaspoons dried)
1 teaspoon ground pepper
1. Place all the marinade ingredients in a blender. Turn on high until well blended. Set aside.
Summer squash, eggplant, peppers, mushrooms, onions — these vegetables do not need any blanching.
2. Slice the squash to a 3/4 inch thickness.
3. Cut the peppers in half and seed them.
4. Slice the eggplant in 1/2 to 3/4 inch slices. Lightly salt both sides of each slice in order to ‘sweat’ the bitterness out of them. Let them stand for at least 3 hours. Rinse off the salt and pat them dry with a dry clean towel.
5. Slice the onions in 1/4 inch circles.
6. Clean the mushrooms with a dry towel gently wiping away any dirt.
7. Blanch potatoes in boiling water for 10 minutes. Rinse them in cold water to stop them from cooking.
Lightly blot them with a towel. Slice the cooled potatoes in 1/2 to 3/4 inch slices.
8. Brush all the vegetable slices with marinade, before grilling.
Outdoor Grilling: Light a gas grill and/or charcoal grill per manufacturer’s instructions. If you are using a charcoal, make sure the coals have turned gray prior to placing the vegetables on the hot grill.
Indoor Grilling: If you are using an indoor electric grill or frying pan follow the manufacturer’s instructions. If you are using a cast iron stove top griddle or grill pan, a cast iron frying pan, a large sauté pan, or heavy duty frying pan, make sure it is lightly oiled and pre-heated on medium to high heat, being careful to adjust the flame and/or temperature as you are grilling.
Oven Roasting or Broiling: Preheat the oven/broiler to 450º. If you are using an oven, lay vegetables in a heavy duty baking dish and place on a rack in the middle of the oven. If broiling, lay the vegetables on an oiled broiler pan or sheet pan and place it on the oven rack second from the top. Bake or broil for about 7 to 10 minutes. Remove the pan, turn the vegetables and cook for another 7 to 10 minutes.
Brush with marinade throughout the grilling/baking/broiling process.
2 comments for “Summer Grilled Vegetables”