Grandma’s Vegan Chopped Liver. The tradition continues. My grandmother used to make chopped liver with plenty of schmaltz (chicken fat) and everyone in the family loved it. My mom continues the tradition and makes her version for all the family holidays. Only mom’s ‘chopped liver’ is so much better, made with simple, plant-foods, onions, walnuts, string beans and vegetable oil and love.
1lb FRESH string beans (frozen is okay, but not as good – DO NOT use canned string beans)
3/4 cup walnuts
2 very large onions, chopped
Canola oil or other high temperature vegetable oil (enough to cover size of frypan)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat oil in large frying pan at medium heat.
2. When oil is very hot, sauté onions until almost tan, stirring constantly.
3. Wash, drain, remove stems, and cut up string beans.
4. Add to frying pan and cook until tender, not firm about 20 minutes or more. Stir often.
5. When string beans are tender add walnuts to pan and mix together.
6. Remove from heat and let cool.
7. Place in food processor. Pulse until the ingredients are broken up. Process until smooth.
8. Continue to process, turning on and off until the mixture looks like chopped liver.
9. Add salt and pepper to taste (optional)
10. Scoop into a small bowl, cover and refrigerate until cold.
Watch the video on making GREEN BEAN ONION WALNUT PATE
Can’t view the video below? Go HERE.