Here’s a quiche recipe that is vegan, gluten-free, soy-free and full of flavor. It can be prepared in advanced and be ready when you are, for your next dinner party or to bring to a pot-luck or picnic.
Try our REAL Sunflower Seed Crust or your own pie crust recipe.
1 large onion
4 cups chopped vegetables: I used 2 cups frozen spinach and 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (corn, carrots, string beans, peas)
You can use other fresh or frozen vegetables as well – like zucchini, bell peppers, mushrooms, broccoli, eggplant, tomatoes.
3 cloves garlic
1/2 cup garbanzo bean flour
1 Tablespoon potato starch
1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
Herbs: I used 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 teaspoon dried dill, 1 teaspoon dried parsley, 1 teaspoon dried sage
You can adjust the herbs to your taste as well, add spices to heat it up or keep it mild.
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup cashews or sunflower seeds in 1 cup water
1/2 cup water
1 Tablespoon olive oil (optional)
1. Coarse chop the onion and dry saute in a heavy sauce pan on medium heat. Stir regularly so onions do not stick or burn. Cook about 10 minutes until lightly brown and translucent.
2. Toss in vegetables, mix well to combine and cook for a minute and remove the chill (if frozen). Remove from heat.
3. In a small bowl, mix together garbanzo flour, potato starch, yeast, salt if using, herbs and baking powder. Set aside.
4. In a food processor blend the cashew/water mixture until smooth. Pour into garbanzo flour mixture with oil. Whisk to combine. Add 1/2 cup water, 1/4 cup at a time, whisking until smooth. Batter should be like heavy cream.
5. Fill pie crust with vegetables. Carefully pour the batter evenly on top.
6. Bake for 45 minutes at 350oF. Remove from the oven. Serve immediately or allow to cool. Quiche may be reheated or served at room temperature.