Oven baking is the healthiest and most delicious way to make French fries. Even better is to add some veggies in with the potatoes. And Kids love them.
4 large russet potatoes (sweet potatoes can be substituted and/or added)
6 carrots (or other root vegetable)
2 large yellow crook neck summer squash
2 Tablespoons of olive oil, optional
salt and pepper to taste (optional)
Spice Rub, consisting of 1 teaspoon each of:
• parsley flakes
• red pepper flakes
• granulated garlic
• granulated onion
Preheat the oven to 450o
1. Wash and scrub the vegetables but do not peel.
2. Julienne cut the potatoes to the size of a 1″ thick french fries/steak fries.
3. Julienne cut the carrots to 1/2 inch thick french fries, as if you are making carrot sticks.
4. Julienne cut the yellow crook neck summer squash to 1 1/2 inch thick strips, like large french fries.
5. In a large bowl, mix together the herbs and spices. Add 1 Tablespoon of the olive oil if using. Toss in the vegetables, coating well with the spice rub.
6. Grease a large sheet pan (approximately 17″x11″) with 1 Tablespoon olive oil or line with parchment paper.
7. Spread vegetables on the lightly oiled sheet pan and bake in the middle rack of a hot oven approximately 45 minutes to an hour or until brown and crispy. Mix the vegetables around the 20 minute mark and revolve the pan for even browning.
8. Serve with REAL barbeque sauce.