It’s time for soup! Take the autumn chill off with this lovely white bean and vegetable soup.
2 cups small white beans (dry)
1 large onion
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon blackpepper
salt to taste (I don’t use any)
1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
juice of 1/2 lemon
1. Place beans in a colander, sort through them removing any tiny pebbles or other debris, and then rinse under cold water. Put beans in a large bowl. Cover the beans with three times their volume of water and soak for 4 hours.
2. Cut carrots and potatoes into small pieces, 1/2 to 1 inch in size.
3. Peel and chop the onion, 1/2 inch in size.
4. In a large soup pot, add the carrots, onions and potatoes. Pour a little water over the vegetables, just barely covering them. Sauté for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Stir in spices and dill.
6. Drain and rinse beans and add them to the pot. Cover with 8 cups of water and cook for an hour or until beans are soft.
4. Remove from heat, add lemon juice and serve.