We love waffles and make them all the time. We have many waffle recipes on this site that are vegan, gluten-free and totally yummy. Some are crispy, some are soft and cake-like. Try them all! This recipe is especially good because ground almonds are added to the batter for a rich flavor. I got started with this recipe when I needed to grind up a new batch of flax seeds. I also buy whole flax seeds, not flax meal. Flax meal may be rancid and nutritionally degraded. I grind the flax meal and keep it in the freezer where it will stay fresh for at least two weeks and I have read up to 2-3 months. While I had the coffee grinder out to grind the flax seeds I thought I could grind the millet for millet flour, the oats for oat flour and the raw almonds for almond meals. The millet, oats, almonds and flax can also be ground in a high-powered blender.
1 cup garbanzo bean flour
1/2 cup raw almonds
1/2 cup millet or millet flour
1/2 cup oats ground or oat flour
2 Tablespoon ground flax seeds
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 1/2 cups water
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen pitted cherries, cut in eighths
1. Grease and heat the waffle iron.
2. Grind the millet, oats, almonds and flax into flour. I grind them separately and then mix them together in a large bowl along with the garbanzo bean flour.
3. Stir in the water, vinegar and almond extract and mix into a smooth batter.
4. Chop the cherries into halves, then quarters and eighths. Stir into the batter.
5. Pour the batter into the waffle iron. Cook for 15 minutes or until done.
6. Serve immediately or save to reheat at another time.