Chicken Soup brings up so many good memories of family and holiday dinners, as well as being comforted when sick with a cold. Being vegan, eating animals, including chicken, is off the menu. Chickens are intelligent, kind and caring individuals. Knowing what I know today, how most chickens are tortured from birth until slaughter, the idea of eating chicken soup is now reprehensible. But we don’t need the chicken to get the best flavors and comforting feelings. This recipe has it all. The mirepoix (carrots, celery and leeks) is the foundation for the great taste. Sautéing the leeks will fill the home with a tantalizing aroma. The finished broth will do wonders for your heart and soul.
- 1 large leek, chopped, whites and greens, chopped, about 4 cups
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 4 celery stalks chopped
- 8 cups water
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 Tablespoon dill weed
- 1 Tablespoon parsley
- 2 Tablespoons dry red lentils
- 4 ounces capellini or other very thin noodle (we use a brown rice, gluten-free capellini)
- Carefully clean the leek. Slice the leek in half lengthwise and run fresh water through all the leaves, making sure any bits of soil are rinsed off.
- Slice and chop the white and green parts of the leek into 1/4 inch wide pieces.
- Dry sauté leeks in a large soup pan, stirring occasionally. If they start to stick add a tablespoon or two of water.
- Cook over medium or medium-low until wilted and lightly caramelized, about 20 minutes.
- Chop carrots and celery and add to the leeks. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft.
- Add in water, herbs, spices and red lentils. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for at least 40 minutes, more if desired, stirring occasionally.
- Pour the soup through a sieve into another pot or container to separate the broth from the vegetables. The vegetables can be stored and used in other recipes. The broth may be refrigerated until ready to use.
- In a large soup pot bring the broth to a bowl. Add the capellini noodles and cook until tender. Serve immediately.
- Serves 3-4.