Breakfast, brunch or appetizer, try these savory Vegetable Corn Cakes. Top with salsa, guacamole, hot sauce or vegan sour cream.
1/2 cup corn meal (polenta)
1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose Gluten-Free Flour
1/4 cup ground flax seeds in 1/4 cup water
2 Tablespoons Ener-G Egg Replacer in 1/2 cup water
1 cup frozen mixed vegetables (corn, peas, carrots, stringbeans)
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional, I don’t use any)
Preheat oven to 200oF
1. In a small bowl beat flax seed and water until creamy.
2. In a blender or food processor pour in flours, pepper and chopped onion. Pulse to make a coarse mixture. Scoop batter out and place into a large bowl. A hand blender with the blade attachment can also be used.
3. Add flax seed mixture and mixed vegetables and stir well to incorporate.
4. In a medium bowl add the Ener-G Egg Replacer and water. With a hand blender or mixer, using the whisk attachement, beat until white and foamy and forming soft peaks. Fold gently into batter.
5. Lightly oil a cast iron skillet. Heat to medium.
6. Drop heaping tablespoons of batter to form 1/2′ wide, 2 1/2 inch patties. The batter is stiff and you can shape and flatten them in the frying pan to the desired size. Let cook 2 to 3 minutes until nicely browned. Using a thin spatula carefully get underneath the patty to lift and flip. Let cook 2 to 3 minutes on the other side. Remove the corn cakes and place on an oven proof plate or platter. Place in a 200F oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter. Keep corn cakes in the oven until ready to serve.
Serve with salsa, hot sauce, vegan sour cream or guacamole. Makes 8 or 9 corn cakes.