Memories of buttermilk pancakes and syrup? Here’s our REAL version using soymilk soured with vinegar in place of buttermilk. Serve with REAL blueberry syrup – surprisingly made only with blueberries!
1 cup Brown Rice Flour or Sorghum Flour
1 cup Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose Gluten-free flour
4 tablespoons ground flax seeds (I buy them whole, grind them and keep them in a glass jar in the refrigerator)
2 tablespoons Ener-G Egg Replacer
1 tablespoon baking power
3/4 cups water
1 1/2 cups non dairy milk or water
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 Tablespoons Agave or Maple Syrup
vegan butter or organic canola oil for oiling the griddle
REAL blueberry syrup
1. Mix together flours and baking powder in a large bowl.
2. In a medium bowl add the vinegar to the non dairy milk (or water).
3. In a small bowl beat together ground flax seeds with 1/4 cup water.
4. Add the flax mixture and the agave or maple syrup to the soymilk mixture.
5. In a medium to large bowl using a hand mixer or whisk whip the Ener-G Egg Replacer with 1/2 cup of water until foamy and forms light peaks.
6. Pour the liquid mixture into the flour and mix well. Fold in the Ener-G Egg Replacer mixture.
7. On a lightly greased hot griddle, pour about 1/3 cup batter and smooth into a circle about 5 to 6 inches wide. I use a small ladle and use the back side to gently smooth the batter into the size I like. After a minute or 2 small bubbles will appear and the edges and top surface will start to dry. Flip and cook for another minute. Repeat until all the batter is used. Re-grease the pan with a very small amount of vegan butter before pouring the batter.
Serve immediately with REAL blueberry syrup. Makes 8-10 pancakes.